Thursday, April 29, 2010

Meet Hannah

I'm a 24 year old engineering student, about to graduate from Missouri S&T (way down in Rolla, MO) with my master's in manufacturing engineering. In June, I'll be getting married and settling down with my husband in Columbia, MO, pursuing a career as housewife and eventual mother. I've been quilting actively for about a year, and I can't wait to learn more!

1. Do you have a quilting "style"? I love modern quilts - less fussy designs, bolder prints, and lots of solids.

2. Do you tend to use certain colors more than others? Or prints more than solids? I tend to gravitate towards blues and greens, and I love to use lots of white as well. I'm a big fan of solids in a quilt.

3. Are there any colors you strictly avoid? Not intentionally, but I'm really not in love with orange, brown, purple, or black (in quilts, that is).

4. Have there been any blocks that you've made in the past that you particularly enjoyed making? Any that you hated and never want to do again? The only actual quilt block I've ever made has been a nine-patch, and they're just so boring. I pretty much always quilt in rows, rather than blocks, so I'm excited to try some new stuff here!

5. Is there something in your life that you collect or are fond of? I don't collect anything, but I'm fond of lots of stuff: the ocean, my cat, my fiance, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Macs, NPR (for some reason I love listening to Car Talk while I work on quilts), Grey's Anatomy, a good glass of wine... just to name a few things.

6. Are you into art quilts, or do you mostly make quilts with the intention of them being used regularly? I definitely appreciate the skill and time required to make an art quilt, but they're not really my thing. I really believe quilts are meant to be used and loved.

7. Do you usually do small projects, such as wall hangings or baby blankets or do you usually make quilts? I make a lot of baby quilts, but I'm looking forward to graduating to larger projects as soon as I move into a bigger place and actually have room for them!

8. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why? The ocean. Don't really care which one, or which state or country (as long as it's warm).

9. What's your favorite place that you've traveled to before? I haven't gotten to do a whole lot of traveling in my life so far, so I think it's too few data points to choose a favorite. I have a LOT of trips planned soon, though, so maybe ask me again in a year or two. :)

10. If we looked in your closet, what are the two colors we'd see the most? Probably black and white. I wear a lot of neutrals.

11. In your fabric collection, what groupings of fabric do you have (30's? Batiks? Modern stuff? Certain designers? Solids? Asian fabric?, Etc.) I make a lot of baby quilts, so I've got lots of cute animal fabrics. I've also got lots of polka dots and lots of bird fabrics. I'm definitely still working on building up my stash.

12. Which is more important to you - the look of the fabric or the feel of it? I go by looks. If it's quality fabric, I know it will feel nice.

13. Are there any charities in your life that you're passionate about? I donate almost all of my quilts to Project Linus or Quilts for Kids, but I'm also a big supporter of NPR and Shakespeare in the Park.

14. Besides quilting, are you crafty in other ways? If so, tell us more... Besides quilting, I'm an as-needed crafter. I can pick up most any crafting skills if I need them for some sort of project, but I'm not really fluent in other crafts. I've knitted several scarves and have crocheted a bit as well, and I'm pretty comfortable working on paper craft projects too.

15. Do you have in mind what you'd like your quilting project to be? Any ideas on blocks or color schemes? Will you be making your quilt for someone else or for yourself? I haven't decided anything yet, except that I'll almost certainly be keeping the quilt for myself. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for jumping on board so quickly! I really enjoyed reading your post and can hardly wait to get started!

Will you be at the sewing event on Saturday? I will, but I might be late.