Saturday, October 1, 2011
OCTOBER BLOCK - HAWAIIAN HIBISCUS INFUSION
What you will receive is a 11 inch batik block, the hibiscus template (for the "just incase you mess up" purposes), a piece of Heat & Bond that I have already traced the pattern on, and a smaller hibiscus block template IF you want to make another block for me.
1) I would like for you to use a contrasting color for your block. I would like it BRIGHT and BATIK or HAND DYED (NO EXCEPTIONS) because that's what Hawaii is all about, in my eyes.
2) I am assuming everybody has done applique before..If not I've provided all of you with a traced piece of Heat & Bond. Place it on the back of the piece of fabric you are using for the flower but with Batiks I don't think there is a right side or wrong side and iron it on. So after that wait a few minutes for it to cool and cut out the pattern. Then peel off the Heat & Bond, CENTER the Hibiscus flower onto the block & iron on. I always wait awhile before I sew because that allows the adhesive to take to the fabric.
3) I would love for everyone to attempt to match the thread with the hibiscus flower. If not whatever comes close. I'm very anal with my applique but that's just me!!
4) When sewing down the Hibiscus flower I am asking everyone to use the BLANKET STITCH. Please set your machine to WIDTH at 2.5mm and LENGTH at 1.4mm. YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR WIDTH FOR THE STYBUS THAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOWER. I would do that last.
5) Do not trim the block. I will do that when they get returned to me.
6) If you are up to making another block...I'm asking for a 8.5 inch batik block and a contasting batik color for the Hibiscus flower and the stitch should be the same.
7) HAVE FUN!!! I know some of you are attempting to get mentally challenged for this but really, it's super duper fun!! Sometimes straight lines get really boring!!
I'm hoping that I've given you all the instructions there is to do my block. Any questions let me know. I will be giving you all the blocks either by mail or guild....